It’s that time of the year again. I’m more grumpy this time around. An update to last year’s resolutions.
1. Stand.❌ **Fail**. I wanted to stand while working. This turns out to be a literal pain in the ass. I bought a standing desk but pretty quickly gave up.
2. Read for cheap.✅ **Partial Pass**. I did buy a Kindle and pirate/read lots of e-books. But I didn't do so nearly as much as I had hoped. I also recently discovered [Second Story Books](https://www.secondstorybooks.com/).
3. Cold, hard meditation.❌ **Fail**. I stopped meditating when I got to school. Cold showers are sporadic, and I'm definitely distracted by podcasts while showering.
4. Text 1st.✅ **Partial Pass**. I do text more. Probably not my default, but I'll give an A for effort.
5. Owl to lark.❌ **Fail**. All the sunrises I saw were right before bedtime.
6. Regular running.❌ **Fail**. I did run more in the spring, but not nearly as much as I wished.
7. Gains.✅ **Pass**. I was quite good about this. Benched 300!
8. Clean.✅ **Partial Pass**. My *own* room was quite clean, but I've been a very messy roommate. Will need to work on that.
9. Bye-bye boba.❌ **Fail**. Sipping a matcha boba as I write this.
10. Journaling.❌ **Fail**. I did keep a decent daily reflection habit, but I don't write on a consistent basis.
11. Social eating.✅ **Pass**. I did make eating much more a social activity. I think probably ate most meals with people when I ate out.
12. Saying no.✅ **Pass**. No more teaching, debate stuff, club commitments–Fall 2022 was just for classes, research, and friends. And it was nice!
Counting partial passes for half, I scored a 4.5/12. Still in C range, but doing better.
Some measurable goals this time, by area of my life. Each of these is a stretch goal and I’ll measure myself by distance from goal achieved.
- Achieve and maintain a weight between 165-170 lbs. I think I’m probably healthiest/the most fit around there.
- Bench 315 and rep 225 for 15. I think it should be fairly doable with enough training.
- Run 3 miles at a 8:00 pace.
- Eat at least one meal a day free of processed food. That includes ramen, protein bars, etc.
- Never pull an all-nighter. Sleep at least 6 hours every night.
- Stop biting nails.
- Don’t leave anyone on delivered for more than a day.
- Be a better roommate — don’t get yelled at for anything.
- Get out of Berkeley with friends at least once every month during school.
- Never do homework the day it’s due. There’s not really an excuse for rushing homework.
- Read at least 36 books. Works out to a book every 10 days or so, which seems pretty reasonable.